Ask a Question

My mission at The Pumping Station is to help pumping moms succeed in meeting (and exceeding) their personal breastfeeding goals. As such, I've set up this page as a place for anyone to ask pumping or working-and-pumping related questions.

Simply leave your question in the comment section below.  I review all comments for content and publish them on a daily basis.  Once I've posted an answer, other readers are free to offer additional advice or suggestions.  This is NOT a debate forum - I will not publish questions or comments that:
  • are negative or unsupportive in any way
  • that suggest advice that I know to be incorrect or unsupported by scientific evidence
  • attempt to undermine a mother's confidence in her ability to breastfeed or pump or suggest she 'just use formula'
  • question the choices of mothers who need to or choose to work rather than stay at home full time with their children


  1. Do you use more than one set of horns at work when pumping? I haven't gone back to work yet but I am trying to determine how to manage the cleaning of parts at work. I have read you can put it in the fridge inbetween feedings but didn't know how that really worked out.

    I have a 2 month old and dad just gave her a bottle last weekend. She sucked down 2 oz so quickly and was still hungry. Instead of thawing more milk, I nursed her. She is sleeping up to 7 hours at night. I'm wondering if maybe she is up to 3-4 oz per day. It just seems early to be up to that much.

  2. I personally don't - just one set for me. What I do is keep the horns attached to the collection bottles and put them back in the cooler pump bag. My work day is a little shorter than most through (~8hrs away from home total), so there's not a big concern with it going sour, etc. Some women simply rinse them out with water after use, which is also fine to get you through the day. If you're really squeamish, you can get the sterilization bags to store in your pump bag. Once you rinse out the horns, you can throw them in the bag and microwave them to sterilize. The best case scenario is that you have a fridge to just stash everything (cooler bag and horns), but few women have access to one they'd feel comfortable doing this with.

    As for the bottles, you handled everything just right! If she's sleeping that long, it is possible that she might want to eat a bit more at a time - 3oz isn't too terrible. One thing I'd have your daycare person try is 'paced bottle feeding'. Here's a good summary of the technique I found:

    Here is how to do paced feeding:

    Offer bottle to baby for 2 sips. Quickly remove the bottle. Wait for a clearing swallow and a breath, pop bottle back in for another 2 sips. Repeat.

    This sounds easy, but it isn’t innate and it feels “Wrong” at first. Also, baby may be VERY mad and get angry at the bottle being taken out. Just remember, this is to help baby and he’ll get over being mad. My daughter was very angry at first, but quickly learned to like it and ejected the bottle every couple sips to get some air. Much more like BF. For a baby who really likes that easy/fast bottle flow, it disrupts the meal enough that often they realize that the breast is a better place to be – no interruptions! They are left alone to nurse and drink to their own content. I’ve found MANY former babies who liked to do the “breast freak out” eventually went on to prefer the breast over the bottle after using paced feeding.

    Let me know what you think of this "Frustrated Mama Tip". I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

  3. So the cleaning of the parts doesn't sound that bad. I like the idea of just holding on to the horns. Her daycare is at my work so I plan to breastfeed her during the day at lunch. And like you my work day isn't as long as most.

    So the bottle didn't work the second time but persistent won as the third one worked. We tried using a slower nipple to help slow the time down and she didn't like it at all. But we went back to the first one and she took it perfectly. Slow and calmly and even paused without fussing. She got the memo about taking the bottle slower and took 2 ounces in about 10 minutes. Success!

    Thanks for the help!


Custom Search